Strong garden arches for people serious about their gardens!
Standard Garden Arch Designs
Farmweld has three garden arch designs that are made up to a width of 2m. Wider garden arbours can be custom made.
- Garden arches are made to be strong.
- Made to order.
- Optional side infill so you can choose the best side infill to support your plant:
- 100x150mm mesh sides – best for plants with tendrils, e.g. jasmine, clematis, etc; or
- trellis sides for plants with canes like rose, bougainvillea, etc.
- Standard height 2.4m above ground, plus additional length for concreting into the ground for stability, giving you some flexibility with the height.
Customise your arch by choosing:
- Side infill
- Unpainted galvanised pipe or
- powder coated to colour of your choice
Standard farmweld rose arches are made from galvanised steel pipe, not thin walled steel tubing, with a strong wall thickness of at least 2mm. They will not rust away in a few short years, but should still be standing in 20 years.
Custom wrought iron arches can be made from a mix of pipe, RHS (square pipe) and solid steel, or all solid steel if it’s a wrought iron arch.
Unique Custom Designed Garden arches
Have you got a particular garden arch design in mind? Would you like something more ornamental? We can make it to your design or ours.
Click to display larger images
NOTE: All images and product designs are copyright © and can not be reproduced in any way without the written permission of Farmweld.
Measuring up for Garden Arches
Most arches are made to a standard height of 2.4m above ground. There is an additional length of 300-400mm extra in the legs so they can be concreted into the ground. We need to know:
- How wide you want it (from side to side)
- How deep you want it (from back to front)
- The type of side infill/pattern – trellis sides for plants with canes, e.g. roses, mesh sides for plants with tendrils, e.g. jasmine or wrought iron pattern if it’s to be more of a feature.
- If you want an asymmetrical arch, ie wide on one side and narrow on the other, we’ll need to know the depth of each side panel – call us so we can discuss this in more detail with you.
Garden Arch Colour/Finish
Standard arches are sold either unpainted (silver/galv finish) or can be powder coated to your choice of colour. Powder coating adds significantly to the price, so if your plant is going to smother the arch it’s worth thinking about whether it’s worth the additional cost.
If you like the rusty look we may be able to source materials which will rust, e.g. solid steel however it needs to be maintained with Penetrol on an annual basis. This is not an easy feat if it’s covered with foliage. The alternative is to powder coat it a colour called ‘Corten’ which resembles rust, however this colour is dearer than other standard colours.
Five things to consider before buying a garden arch, arbour or trellis
- What plant are you going to grow over your arch?
- How wide will it grow?
- How tall will it get?
- Does it have tendrils, (e.g. jasmine or clematis) better suited to mesh, or canes (e.g. roses) that need an open trellis frame?
- What style is your home or garden?
If you want a low maintenance garden the last thing you want is to plant a large, rambling wisteria on a narrow and shallow arch. You’ll forever be pruning it or will lose the arch completely under it!